Start Date: July 7th, 2021
End Date: August 25th, 2021
Sustainability Assessment is one of three non-credit courses in the Sustainable Engineering (SE) program. This course can be taken individually, or as one of the three courses the SE program.
The course is taught by faculty from Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering department within The Ohio State University. The course is delivered in 100% distance learning format and includes instructional material equivalent to a one semester credit hour class.
You will learn how to:
- Formulate the problem for assessing environmental sustainability, including the steps of goal and scope definition, inventory analysis, impact assessment and improvement analysis.
- Utilize a systematic and rigorous framework for assessing environmental sustainability.
- Calculate metrics of carbon and water footprint.
- Perform a life cycle assessment of a selected system, and understand shortcomings of existing methods for assessing sustainability.
- Using industry-strength software for sustainability assessment such as OpenLCA.
Student should have already taken Introduction to Sustainability. Additionally, an engineering degree or background would be helpful and is recommended but is not required. Students should possess the ability to do simple calculations, use computer software, and have a background of high school level advanced physics.
Click Here to learn more about how this course is delivered 100% online!
The content of these courses is from the book Sustainable Engineering Principles and Practice by Dr. Bhavik R Bakshi ISBN-13 : 978-1108420457. Purchasing the book for these courses is optional and not required.
Expected Time Commitment to Complete this Course
Each course is equivalent to a one semester credit hour class. Therefore each class consists of approximately 40 hours of class time that includes 12-15 hours of recorded faculty lectures and 22-25 hours of additional course work. This course is seven weeks in length and is delivered 100% online and asynchronously. Students may progress through the course at their own pace but they must complete all of the course work within the seven-week period.
Cancellations and Refunds
A full refund minus a $75 administrative fee will be made if cancellation is received three weeks prior to the start of the course. No refunds within three weeks of the course start date.
Course Offering Dates
Each course offering in this program is faculty lead, therefore it operates with a specific start date and end date. Students must complete each course during the specific time frame.