Design for Sustainability and Circularity
January 23, 2023 – March 13, 2023
Design for Sustainability and Circularity is one of three courses in the Sustainable Engineering Certification program. This course focuses on methods for the design of sustainable systems. It introduces basics of techno-economic analysis for ensuring economic sustainability followed by approaches for understanding and optimizing the trade-off between economic, environmental, and social objectives. It introduces the principles of ecosystem ecology to understand approaches based on eco-mimicry such as industrial symbiosis and circular economy.
In addition, we will learn about designing synergies with ecosystems by means of nature-based solutions, green infrastructure and techno-ecological synergy. Finally, the role of economic policies such as carbon trading and human behavior on enabling sustainability will also be covered.
4 CEUs are granted upon successful completion of the course.
You will learning how to:
- Perform basic techno-economic analysis
- Understand the need for multi-objective optimization and basic methods for accomplishing this task.
- Appreciate the basics of Ecosystem Ecology with the intention of learning from and emulating nature for designing sustainable systems.
- Know methods for designing sustainable systems based on emulating ecosystems such as industrial symbiosis and circular economy.
- Appreciate the role of nature-based solutions for designing sustainable systems. These include traditional ecological knowledge, green infrastructure, and ecological engineering.
- Importance of economic mechanisms (regulations, emissions trading, inclusive wealth) and societal aspects (culture, politics, religion) in designing sustainable systems.
Student should have already taken Introduction to Sustainability. Additionally, an engineering degree or background would be helpful and is recommended but is not required. Students should possess the ability to do simple calculations, use computer software, and have a background of high school level advanced physics.
Click Here to learn more about how this course is delivered 100% online!
The content of these courses is from the book Sustainable Engineering Principles and Practice by Dr. Bhavik R Bakshi ISBN-13 : 978-1108420457. Purchasing the book for these courses is optional and not required.
The course is graded pass/fail. Students who pass receive a certificate of completion for the course.
Expected Time Commitment to Complete this Course
Each course is equivalent to a one semester credit hour class. Therefore each class consists of approximately 40 hours of class time that includes 12-15 hours of recorded faculty lectures and 22-25 hours of additional course work. This course is seven weeks in length and is delivered 100% online and asynchronously. Students may progress through the course at their own pace but they must complete all of the course work within the seven-week period.
Cancellations and Refunds
A full refund minus a $75 administrative fee will be made if cancellation is received three weeks prior to the start of the course. No refunds within three weeks of the course start date.
Course Offering Dates
Each course offering in this program is faculty lead, therefore it operates with a specific start date and end date. Students must complete each course during the specific time frame.