Radiation Physics and Radiological Engineering
Start Date: August 24, 2021
End Date: October 12, 2021
Radiation Physics and Radiological Engineering is one of three non-credit courses in the Certification in Radiological Engineering and Health Physics (CREHP) program. This course can be taken individually, or as one of the three courses required to receive the CREHP certificate of completion. This course must be completed first if you are intending to complete all three courses for the certification.
The course is taught by faculty from The Ohio State University. The course is delivered in 100% distance learning format and includes instructional material equivalent to a one semester credit hour class.
You Will Learn:
1. General principles of radiation, radioactivity and radiation safety.
2. Concepts of radiation physics.
3. Interaction of radiation (alpha, beta, gamma and neutrons) with materials.
4. Radiation exposure pathways and modeling of radionuclides transport through atmosphere.
5. Biological effects of radiation and legal regulations in industry, academia and research.
6. Radioactive waste management, decontamination and decommissioning methods.
Expected Time Commitment to Complete this Course
Each course is equivalent to a one semester credit hour class. Therefore these courses consists of approximately 40 hours of class time. That includes 12-15 hours of recorded faculty lectures and 22-25 hours of additional course work. Each week there is 5.7 hours of combined class time (40 hrs / 7 weeks). The average student should allow a 2:1 study-to-class-time ratio to complete the course. This means you should plan to study two hours for each one hour of class time. This equates to 11-12 hours per week to complete all course work. (5.7 hrs X 2 = 11-12 hrs). Based on your own personal strengths and experience, you should increase or decrease the ratio.
A bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field is strongly recommended.
Cancellations and Refunds
A full refund minus a $75 administrative fee will be made if cancellation is received three weeks prior to the start of the course. No refunds within three weeks of the course start date.