Certification in Applied Aeronautics and Design
The Certification in Applied Aeronautics and Design (CAAD) is a non-credit, online program offering working professionals the opportunity to acquire the knowledge that support advanced concepts in aeronautics across the entire Mach number range with the ability to immediately apply the knowledge to your professional practice. The certificate will provide you with formalized structure to gain a deeper respect and understanding of key integrated elements of advanced topics in air breathing propulsion, aerodynamics, performance, and flight mechanics applied for both manned and unmanned aircraft.
The certification includes four non-credit graduate level courses and students must successfully complete all in order to obtain the certification issued by the College of Engineering and the Aerospace Research Center. Students may also take any of the courses individually for targeted learning and if they do not wish to pursue the certification. The courses are delivered in 100% online, asynchronous format. This program is developed by the College of Engineering Aerospace Research Center. The anticipated start for this program is Autumn 2024 or Spring 2025 semester.
The Certificate in Applied Aeronautics includes four non-credit courses:
- Aircraft Performance and Flight Test Engineering
- Applied Aerodynamics
- Applied Flight Vehicle Design
- Applied Flight Mechanics
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of the certification, learners will be able to:
- Apply advanced methods of flight analysis across the entire Mach number range.
- Develop flight vehicle operation envelopes and analyze representative flight mission profiles.
- Develop advanced numerical analysis techniques involved in applied aeronautics.
- Perform multivariate analysis and design evaluations to optimization results.
- Understand best practices in experimental testing and apply analysis techniques to wind tunnel testing and flight testing.
Advantages of this Certification
Busy professionals find this program meets their professional goals while providing a flexible learning experience. As a student in the program, you’ll enjoy:
- The opportunity to learn from experts at The Ohio State University College of Engineering and the Aerospace Research Center.
- All courses delivered in 100% distance learning format and asynchronously, allowing students to study when and where they want.
- Courses that focus on the application of advanced key topics in aeronautics.
- The option to take standalone courses for targeted learning or complete the four courses to earn the certification.
- Students select their own pace towards completion of the certification.
What Students Can Expect
The online delivery of each course is comprised of:
- All course lectures are recorded and available to you 24/7 through the university's Learning Management System CarmenCanvas.
- Course duration is approximately 14 weeks.
- A certificate of completion is provided after a student completes each individual course and after successfully completing all four courses, they receive the complete Certification in Applied Aeronautics and Design from the College of Engineering.
A bachelor's degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering or a related field is required.
The courses can be taken individually for specific interests or students can pursue the full certification. If pursuing the certification in one-year, it is recommended to take (1) Aircraft Performance and Flight Test Engineering with (2) Applied Aerodynamics in autumn semester, followed by (3) Applied Flight vehicle Design with (4) Applied Flight Mechanics in spring semester. If additional time is permitted or preferred, then a recommended sequence would be(1) and (3) during year one, followed by (2) and (4) in year two.