Municipal Planning & Zoning Fundamentals
Start Date: February 26, 2020
End Date: April 15, 2020
About this program
Municipal Planning and Zoning Fundamentals introduces students to city planning concepts, municipal governance, and public service. Offered by the City and Regional Planning Program at The Ohio State University, this training prepares local leaders to guide their municipalities and promote civil discourse in their communities.
This online course is co-taught by Kim Burton and Kyle Ezell, both faculty in the City & Regional Planning Program at The Ohio State University. The two have over 40 years of combined experience in public and private sector planning for state and local agencies. Instruction includes real cases using video footage of local council and zoning meetings to illustrate the application of these fundamentals to on-the-ground problem solving.
- 100% online
- Six hours of instruction covering six individual modules
- Focus on real-world relevancy
- Serves as planning & zoning literacy baseline for local leaders
- Prioritizes community investment in residents
- Understand planning and governance fundamentals.
- Learn how to communicate in a public setting.
- Become familiar with the major framework of municipal planning and zoning.
- Understand the influence of community design, development, and transportation on their municipality.
- Gain a perspective on planning for the future of their communities.
- Planning & Governance Fundamentals
- Communicating with the Public
- Planning & Zoning Framework
- Focus Areas - Community Development, Revitalization & Design
- Focus Areas - Economic Development & Transportation Fundamentals
- Planning for the Future
What you can expect
- The course is delivered 100% in online format.
- The course consists of six hours of recorded instructional videos that cover six individual modules.
- All lectures are recorded and available to you 24/7 through the university's Learning Management System called - Carmen.
- Students complete the course at their own pace, but must do so in the 7-week time frame.
- 24/7 IT support through the OSU IT support helpdesk.
- Administrative support on all matters through the Professional & Distance Education Programs office.
Click Here to learn more about how this course is delivered 100% online!
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Required Text Books
Cancellations and Refunds
A full refund minus a $50 administrative fee will be made if cancellation is received prior to the start of the course. No refunds will be issued after the course begins.