Introduction to Sustainability
Start Date: May 12th, 2021
End Date: June 30th, 2021
Introduction to Sustainability is one of three non-credit courses in the Sustainable Engineering (SE) program. This course can be taken individually, or as one of the three courses offered in Sustainable Engineering.
The course is taught by faculty from Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering department within The Ohio State University. The course is delivered in 100% distance learning format and includes instructional material equivalent to a one semester credit hour class.
You will learn how to:
- Understand ecosystem goods and services and their role in sustaining all human activities
- Know the definitions of sustainability and the challenges in meeting its goals
- Appreciate how environmental problems tend to shift outside system boundaries and identify necessary conditions for sustainability
- Understand how unsustainability of human activities can be encouraged in conventional economics, business, science, engineering, and society
- Identify the characteristics of approaches from multiple disciplines including engineering, economics, and social science for assessing and designing sustainable systems.
An engineering degree or background would be helpful and is recommended but is not required. Students should possess the ability to do simple calculations, use computer software, and have a background of high school level advanced physics.
Click Here to learn more about how this course is delivered 100% online!
The content of these courses is from the book Sustainable Engineering Principles and Practice by Dr. Bhavik R Bakshi ISBN-13 : 978-1108420457. Purchasing the book for these courses is optional and not required.
Expected Time Commitment to Complete this Course
Each course is equivalent to a one semester credit hour class. Therefore each class consists of approximately 40 hours of class time that includes 12-15 hours of recorded faculty lectures and 22-25 hours of additional course work. This course is seven weeks in length and is delivered 100% online and asynchronously. Students may progress through the course at their own pace but they must complete all of the course work within the seven-week period.
Cancellations and Refunds
A full refund minus a $75 administrative fee will be made if cancellation is received three weeks prior to the start of the course. No refunds within three weeks of the course start date.
Course Offering Dates
Each course offering in this program is faculty lead, therefore it operates with a specific start date and end date. Students must complete each course during the specific time frame.